Name aside, this is a wonderful mid-week dish I found on a blog, Ominvore’s Cookbook.
I have adjusted it slightly and it really is a set-and-forget sort of dinner.
Get your chicken simmering, cook your rice, prepare your bok choy and heat up the pan to cook the eggs.
Which means more time for a wine on the couch discussing the progress of your new baby. Or puppy. Or whatever is progressing in your life.
We have done a few minced pork and chicken recipes lately and could there be anything better after a long day?
This dish is no exception.
4 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine (or Japanese sake which we used)
2 tsp sugar
¼ tsp Chinese five spice powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
2 tsp minced fresh garlic
500gm ground chicken breast (chicken mince)
50gm shiitake mushrooms
1 cup frozen baby peas
2 cups of steamed rice
Baby bok choy, sauteed quickly in a hot pan with a splash of vegetable oil, sesame oil, light soy sauce, black bean sauce and chilli sauce
- In a small bowl, mix together the light soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, five spice powder and salt.
- Place the shiitake mushrooms in a bowl and pour over boiling water. Leave for 5 minutes, drain well and chop.
- Heat a wok over a medium heat and add the oil; when warm, add the ginger and garlic and stir, cooking for a minute until fragrant. Add the chicken mince, breaking up and stir until the chicken is slightly browned.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms, the light soy sauce mixture and 1 cup of hot water. Partially cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the sauce is mostly absorbed. Add the peas, stir for a minute and take off the heat, stirring until the peas are warmed through.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice and prepare the bok choy.
- When the chicken is close to done, add some oil to a pan, heat to medium and cook the eggs, crisping the edges though keeping the yolk runny.
- Cook the bok choy.
- Serve the chicken mince on the rice with the egg on top and the bok choy at the side.