Serves: 4 as a share plate
It is after numbers like this one that you wonder why you don’t cook more squid! And if you don’t trust me, you have to trust that pretty much anything Neil Perry cooks is going to be wonderful.
It is an incredibly easy dish to do, it takes no time to prep and cook and it’s healthy sans the loaf of bread which unfortunately, is not optional!
The key to it all is to cook the different ingredients as fast as possible! And preferably, with the two of you cooking; it’s a fast-faced, hands-on, let’s both be rewarded sort of experience.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium Spanish Onion roughly sliced
3 garlic, sliced
2 fresh Bay leaves finely sliced
4 medium Squid Tubes sliced 2cm thick
4 Tomatoes blanched, quartered, peeled and de-seeded
½ bunch Parsley picked
Freshly Ground black Pepper to taste
2 Lemons juiced
Rustic loaf of bread to sop up sauce
- Heat a little extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan to very hot. Add the onion, garlic and bay leaf and fry quickly.
- Add the sweet sherry, toss around and allow the alcohol to burn off as it quickly reduces.
- Add the sliced squid. Toss through for about 30 seconds
- Add the tomato quarters, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Finish with the lemon juice, a dash of extra virgin olive oil and a grind of pepper.