Serves: 4 – 6 as a side
If your brief is to shut down the local Malaysian Curry Puff business, proceed with this recipe.
Wow, it doesn’t get any more real than this.
They don’t get the heart tick of approval though they get every other tick out there; seriously, they’re perfect. Just like that Malaysian Curry Puff business you’re shutting down.
A few other recipes I read asked for the homemade creation of your own puff pastry, though that is totally non-necessary based on my experience.
I doubled the recipe though for 4 to 6 people, follow the recipe below. Plenty to share!
2 tsp peanut oil
2 tsp finely chopped coriander root
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
100gm beef mince
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
2 tsp fish sauce
1 tbsp water
100gm mashed potato
2 sheets puff pastry
1 egg, lightly beaten
Sweet chilli sauce to serve
- Stir fry the coriander root, spring onion, garlic and beef until the colour changes.
- Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add the fish sauce and water and simmer until the mixture thickens.
- Stir in the mashed potato and cool.
- Cut rounds – around 10cm in diameter – from the pastry sheet. Spoon the filling into the centre of each, brush around the edges of the pastry with the egg, fold to enclose and press together with a form to seal.
- Deep-fry the curry puff until crisp and lightly browned, drain on paper towels and serve with the sweet chilli sauce.