Serves: 4 – 6
I just love these meatballs. And who doesn’t love mince.
The red wine vinegar and oregano adds an really interesting element and contrasts really nicely with the golden outsides and soft, medium-rare inside of the meatballs.
Serve with a green salad and some pan-fried brussel sprouts and there is Wednesday night in the bag!
1kg ground beef
1/3 c dry breadcrumbs
½ c milk
1 onion, finely chopped
1 c (or more) chopped parsley
3 tbsp olive oil
2 egg yolks (or 1 egg)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsps salt
pepper to taste
2 tbsp butter
6 tbsp (or more) red wine vinegar
1 tbsp (or more) dried crumbled oregano
- Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk until soft.
- Saute the onion and parsley in 2 tablespoons olive oil until limp.
- Mix together thoroughly with the meat, egg yolks, breadcrumbs, garlic, salt and pepper. Shape into 1-inch balls and chill.
- Sauté the meatballs in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the butter, browning on all sides, and then remove any excess fat from the pan.
- Pour the vinegar into the pan, and sprinkle with the oregano. Heat for a few minutes, scraping up the browned drippings. Repeat with more vinegar and oregano for a stronger taste.