You can’t beat a special weekend breakfast and our favourite is anything with a little spice, tomato and hopefully some chorizo.
This recipe is consistent with a few others I have typed up – beans, chilli, tomato and baked eggs – though that is simply consistent with how much we love this sort of start to a Sunday morning.
With a good coffee or ideally, a good Champagne, this fairly straightforward number will hopefully inspire you to kick-off next Sunday with a bang.
4 flour tortillas
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped
200gm dried chorizo, chopped
400gm can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 long red chilli, seeds removed, chopped plus extra to serve
1 yellow capsicum, chopped
400gm can chopped tomatoes
Sour cream and coriander leaves to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200c. Great 4 ramekins and carefully line with the tortillas.
- Heat the oil in a frypan over a low heat and add the onion. Cook for 10 minutes until soft and add the chorizo. Turn up the heat a bit and cook for 5 minutes until starting to crisp. Add the beans, chilli and capsicum and season. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until the liquid has reduced and the consistency is thick.
- Divide among the tortilla cups, making small wells in the center of each.
- Break eggs into the wells. Bake for 20 minutes or until the eggs are just set.
- Serve with extra chilli, sour cream, coffee and Champagne.