Serves: 4 (if not having the buns, otherwise 8)
By Nat Beerworth
Robert and I decided to do a relatively shot-gun style wedding with only about 6 months notice, which in the world of weddings is basically like getting married next week. With the 6 month lead time involving holidaying to Hong Kong, Vanuatu and Bali it left little time for weddin-shreddin. We doubled down when we were at home and embraced a 300 calorie meal lifestyle. This diet consisted of: Not eating anything before 12pm, eating a 300 calorie lunch, a 300 calorie dinner and a few vodkas sprinkled in between.
We learnt that there is a whole new world out there – a 300 calorie world.
This is one of my favouries, I think we cooked it 3 times (which in the Beerworth household is not usually allowed).
4 boneless and skinless chicken breast (cut in 1/2 to make 8 pieces)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 teaspoons vinegar based hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs, pulsed in a food processor
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons coconut sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
8 whole wheat slider buns (we didn’t use these which meant we could have TWO sliders each)
1 large pickle, sliced in to 8 circles (one slice for each slider)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and hot sauce. Place the flour in a second bowl, and the panko in a third bowl. Dip the chicken pieces in the flour, then the egg mixture, and last the panko, making sure the chicken is coated on all sides.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown and chicken is firm and cooked through.
- While the chicken is baking, mix together the olive oil, cayenne, coconut sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and brush the chicken and the inside of the slider buns (if using) with the oil and spice mixture.
- Place each piece of cooked chicken on to a bun (is using), top with pickles. Serve.
Serving Size: 2 slider | Calories: 287 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Carbohydrates: 34 g | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 5 g | Protein: 20 g | Cholesterol: 62 mg | Sodium: 376 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7 |