Serves: 4 – 6
These potato pancakes are a wonderful invention.
It’s just comfort. Nothing complex. Just solidly good, satisfying food.
I’d have them for breakfast. As a hot dish with a cold buffet. As a finger food.
And definitely as a side to ribs or really any grilled meat.
2 – 3 rashers rindless bacon, chopped
25ml vegetable oil
1 tbsp plain flour
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large potatoes, peeled and grated
2 tbsp chopped chives
50ml olive oil
- Sauté the bacon in a frying pan with the vegetable oil over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until slightly crisp. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Beat the eggs with the flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the bacon, egg mixture and grated potato in a bowl and add the chives. Leave the mixture until ready to cook, when it will be very watery.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Place tbsps of potato mixture in the oil and cook for about 5 minutes each side, until golden. Turn the heat up if necessary.
- Serve immediately, or keep in a 100c oven on a cake rack to ensure the pancakes remain fresh and crisp until needed.