If there is a gap in my cooking, it is baking.
This focaccia is just a cracker and supplied as a recipe from my mother.
It is just wonderful. Focaccia usually is, though warm and home-cooked?
200gm floury potatoes
3 tsp dry yeast
Pinch of sugar
100gm strong flour
10 cherry tomatoes, halves
2 tbsp marinated olives, chopped
2 tbsp chopped rosemary (and/or fresh oregano)
- Microwave the potatoes until soft, put through a ricer and allow to cool.
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in 125ml water, mix with a fork and allow to froth.
- Mix together the flours, add the potatoes, yeast, 50ml olive oil, and enough water to make a dough that isn’t sticky.
- Either knead by hand (boring) or use a dough hook to knead for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap and leave in a warm place for an hour of more until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220c and liberally oil a 28cm round pan.
- Place the dough in the palm add 1tbsp of olive oil on top and stretch it to fit to fit the bottom.
- Press the tomatoes into the surface, scatter over the olives and herbs and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 25 – 35 mins or until golden.