Makes: 5 cups
We had an Italian-themed dinner last weekend with some of Nat’s friends.
And how can it not end well with homemade coffee ice cream and a shot of Lemoncello?
Answer is, it can’t.
Like most ice creams, it starts with a great custard with the addition of coffee: instant coffee.
Trust me, instant is the way to go.
Into the ice cream machine, a few more glasses of red among friends, various promises that we should all go on holiday to Mexico and boom… you’re serving up cream, coffee ice cream.
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups caster sugar, sifted
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp instant coffee granules
6 egg yolks
2 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan over a medium heat, combine the milk, sugar, salt and coffee granules, stirring occasionally until steaming. Reduce the heat to low.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks in a bowl. Slowly pour half the hot milk into the eggs whilst whisking continuously. Return mixture to the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Strain the custard through a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, allowing it to touch the surface of the custard to prevent a skin forming. Refrigerate until cold.
- When ready, whisk the cream and vanilla into the custard until smooth. Churn in your ice cream maker.
- Enjoy. With a Lemoncello.