Yields: 10 muffins
We went through a bit of a phase last winter of doing a weekly batch of muffins.
These pistachio muffins were particularly popular and so here they are for you to try.
Certainly a great way to get rid of that stubborn bag of pistachios that’s been sitting in the pantry for 5 months!
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup pistachios, finely chopped
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp rum extract
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180c and grease the muffin tins well.
- Combine the dry ingredients including the zest and finely chopped pistachios in a large bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat the eggs – one at a time – unto the creamed mixture until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and rum extracts.
- Slowly add the dry mixture and the milk to the batter, ensure not to over-mix the batter.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle the tops with the coarsely chopped pistachios.
- Place the muffins in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the muffins test done.