Patate al forno (Italian Oven Roasted Potatoes)
Serves: 4 – 6
I love potatoes pretty much any way you can serve them and potato gratin is one of my favourites.
With a good steak and some bearnaise sauce, you’ve won me.
I also love any new way to do potatoes, especially one that doesn’t require the butter (and cream) that a good gratin demands.
These Italian oven roasted potatoes are just the answer.
You get almost the same effect less the calories.
As a side to a braise or even a robust fish, these are just wonderful.
6 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly cracked pepper
3 cloves of garlic, minced (plus 1 additional clove, halved)
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves separated (plus 1 to garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 180c.
- Rinse and dry the potato slices and mix in a large bowl with a generous splash or two of the olive oil, salt and pepper, rosemary leaves and garlic.
- Take a large baking dish and rub the insides all over with the two garlic cloves halves.
- Arrange the potato slices evenly in the dish, overlapping slightly and building row upon row. Add enough water to come up to about half the height of the potatoes, being careful not to displace the dressing. Drizzle a little more olive oil and season again with the salt and pepper. Place the additional rosemary sprig on top.
- Roast the potatoes for about 45 – 60 minutes, until the water has evaporated, the potatoes are soft and golden on top. Remove the rosemary sprig and serve.