She might not be happy with the inclusion of this recipe, though there are a few of them that define my mother and her cooking talents… and none comes more to mind that this torte.
Nobody that has ever had it, has thought anything differently: it is genius.
Every time I have it – and I have had it probably 600 times – I literally gasp at how bloody wonderful it is. It is literally genius.
The origin of the recipe – according to my mother – is Mexican and my grandmother found it whilst she lived it LA many years back.
Don’t be confused.
Some freshly whipped cream, some fresh strawberries, this is the least contentious, most no-questions, shit-yeah dessert I think you can make.
I vouch my cooking heart on it.
6 egg whites
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups sugar
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 tsp vanilla
16 Sao biscuits
- Beat the egg whites with the baking powder until stiff.
- Beat in the sugar gradually, and continue to beat.
- Fold in the pecans, vanilla and Sao crumbs.
- Bake in a large buttered springform pan at 190 C for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- Two hours before serving spread with the whipped cream and chill.
- Garnish with strawberries before serving.