Wow this is a good soup!
Neil Perry of course and reasonable quick to whip up, Nat and I cooked this for a Saturday lunch as part of a weekend of cooking and we were blown away.
We used a very good and aged parmesan and shaved it in; not the yellow stuff you get in the supermarket. Some warmed, crusty bread and wow.
We were warm and completely satisfied for the entire afternoon.
You must do this!
750gm green zucchini, cut into 1cm-thick pieces
Extra virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bunch basil
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
1½ liters chicken stock
125ml pure cream
40gm unsalted butter
40gm parmesan, grated, plus extra to serve
- Heat a little olive oil in a heavy-based sauce pan over a medium heat and add the zucchini, garlic, basil and a good pinch of sea salt. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the zucchini starts to soften.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 8 minutes.
- Pour the soup into the blender and pulse until well pureed though still with a bit of texture; not completely smooth.
- Return to the saucepan and stir in the cream, butter and the parmesan.
- Serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan and a good ground of fresh pepper.