Claudia Roden’s Spicy Roasted Carrot Salad
Serves: 6 – 8
This Moroccan starter is particularly delicious.
I served it as a side and wow, you could do a whole lot worse.
I only did half the carrots asked for in the recipe and so of course the spicy cooking sauce was doubled. Absolutely no regrets.
Serve it with some labneh and this would literally pair with anything.
1kg medium carrots, peeled
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 – 3 tbs olive oil
1 tbs honey
Juice of 1/2 – 1 lemon, to taste
Chilli pepper, to taste (optional)
Salt and black pepper
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil, to serve
3 tbs roughly chopped coriander
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Cut the carrots in half, then cut them in half so that you have wide sticks.* Put them in a baking dish.
- In a bowl, put the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, olive oil, honey, lemon juice and chilli (if using). Season, mix very well and pour over the carrots, turning with your hands until they are coated all over.
- Bake for about 1 hour until the carrots are tender, turning them over once. Leave to cool.
- Serve at room temperature with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkling of coriander.
* I used baby carrots and so did not cut.