The Internet probably doesn’t need another lasagne recipe though I cooked this up for Lauren’s (Nat’s sister) Hens weekend and it was really successful.
The recipe is an adaptation of a few recipes with the view of making this an easy dish to prep and cook.
The key point is the cheese sauce or lack thereof.
Not only is the ricotta-version here much easier to prepare when you have literally run out of stove space, it tastes amazing.
Extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, shredded
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
500gm pork mince
500gm veal mince
10 tbsp tomato paste
4 can of tomatoes
4 c chicken stock
2 tsp dried oregano
Bunch of basil, torn
500gm mozzarella, shredded + a handful to sprinkle at the end
1 kg ricotta
250gm parmesan, shredded
2 eggs, beaten
Pinch of nutmeg
(Instant) lasagne sheets
Salt and pepper to taste
Butter for greasing the cooking dish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and slow cook the onions, garlic and carrots until soft.
- Add the mince and cook until browned and the water has evaporated.
- Stir in the tomato paste, canned tomatoes, chicken stock and oregano.
- Season and simmer for 40 minutes until the liquid has reduced.
- Take off the heat and stir through the basil.
- Combine the cheeses, eggs and nutmeg and season.
- Heat the oven to 180c.
- In a greased cooking dish, layer a small amount of meat, then a layer of lasagna sheets, then more meet, cheese mixture and repeat.
- Finish off with a layer of mozzarella.
- Cover with foil, cook for 40 minutes and then remove the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes.
2 thoughts on “Easy ricotta lasagne”
Thanks Robert! I m going to make this at home as I thought it was delicious and how lovely of you to make a Gluten Free version. Much appreciated!! Michelle Braude
LikeLiked by 1 person
My pleasure! So glad you loved it and what a great wedding!